A low maintenance, but the beautiful garden is always the goal of gardeners. Don’t be discouraged by the lack of time you think you don’t have or the superhuman efforts that go into maintaining a large garden. There are several steps you can take to keep your garden looking flower-perfect all year round, but the best way to give yourself time is by utilizing flower bed design maintenance in Utah. With professional gardening and lawn care, all you need to do is sit back and admire your garden.
Hiring professionals is one way to keep your large garden low maintenance, but if you would rather create and maintain a large garden yourself, there are several ways to accomplish this feat.
- Keep plant varieties down to a minimum. The more plant varieties you have in your garden, the more work you will need to do to maintain it. On the flip side, the fewer plant types you have in your garden, the more free time you have to enjoy it.
Master gardeners claim that it is best to stick to a maximum of two types of plants to cut down on all the work. You can plant evergreen shrubs like lavender and euonymus or use colorful plant containers.
Select plants for drought tolerance or native plants that grow well in your area. To find plants that will grow well in your region’s water pattern, start with native plants. They are already adapted to native soil types and grow with low-maintenance.
- Use mulch to conserve moisture, balance temperature, and suppress weeds: preferred mulching materials are compost and well-rotted dairy manure. If you have questions about the types of much to use, contact flower bed design maintenance in Utah. They know what plants will work best in your low-maintenance garden and how to keep them growing all year beautifully.
- Keep grass or lawn out of the picture. Lawns require tons of attention. If you want a low-maintenance garden, low-maintenance gardeners worldwide recommend that you keep the lawn to a minimum. One way to do this is by planting native plant varieties around trees on your lawn. Spring bulbs like the crocus are perfect.
Replace as much of your lawn as you can with a wide flower or planter bed. If you plant evergreen and native border shrugs, grasses, and perennials, you will have a very nice-looking yard all-year-round.
Make sure your beds are large. One of the most common design errors in creating low-maintenance flower beds is making them too small. Big beds look best and are easiest to plant without resorting to pruning. Well-filled beds are easier to care for than lawn. If you have weeds, in your beds, you don’t have enough plants.
- Create gravel paths several feet wide. Grave paths will prevent weeds from growing and help water drain faster. You can also use pavers or flagstone to give a look of elegance to your gardens.
Develop wide areas along pathways that allow shady as well as sunny seating paces. Soft and simple lines will make these areas easy to care for, visually attractive, and comfortable to use.
- Let technology do the work for you by installing an automatic sprinkler system. Install your sprinkler system so it will benefit as many of your plants as possible. Call flower bed design maintenance in Utah to incorporate a sprinkling system into your garden maintenance. Once you have an automatic system installed, you can sit back and enjoy what you have created instead of water all the time.
There are several “things not to do” in low maintenance gardening. Talk to the professionals at Affordable Lawn Care and Landscape, an expert flower design maintenance company in Utah, and avoid these no-nos.
Painting and staining your fence or furniture. Your yard will look impressive if you continually paint and stain, but if you use materials that don’t need painting and refinishing, then you can save time and effort on upkeep. Have stone walls and vinyl fences installed? Or, if you like the wooden look, simply let the natural colors come out. Your neighbors will think you are being trendy.
Don’t disregard your plant’s needs and wants — Beware of placing shade-loving plants in direct sunlight or sun-loving plants in the shade. You can’t expect them to thrive if you don’t realize what they need. Pick plants that are well suited to your local climate and your garden’s soil type. Flower design maintenance in Utah will know exactly what plants to put where in your garden.
Avoid introducing containers to your garden. Container plants are a demanding task. They require regular feeding, watering, and repotting. However, if you love container gardening, choose larger containers that hold more compost to help save on water.
Avoid plants that snails love. Snails are herbivores and will cheerfully eat your garden. Stay away from succulent leaved plants like broccoli or certain types of hostas in favor of bellflowers, cyclamen, or other plants that are natural snail repellents. This one step will stop you from catching and moving snails or replanting plants eaten to the ground.
You deserve a low-maintenance landscape, and you can get this dream yard by following these low-maintenance ideas. However, if you love lawn and the natural green that it brings to your home, call on Affordable Lawn Care and Landscape to do the flower bed design maintenance in your Utah garden. The experts at Affordable Lawn Care and Landscape will help you enjoy your yard all year round.