Have you ever caught yourself staring at a house because of the flowers and landscape? Have you ever wanted to spend time in the park to stare at the beautiful flowers and wish that you have one at your house? Have you ever pictured yourself sitting on your porch, having your morning coffee, and smiling because the small flower bed ideas you once had is what you now see around you?
Admittedly, we all had that one moment in our lives when we just caught ourselves staring at the flowers’ immense beauty and the breathtaking scenery it could bring us. However, naturally occurring as it may seem, though, not all are skilled enough to grow them abundantly, let alone know where best to grow them. The best place to start growing them is in a flower bed — yes, that elevated plot where the beautiful flowers grow is called a flower bed. While some people find it amusing to have such intricate detail in your lawn, some people find it necessary.
Read on to know the things that you need to know about small flower beds.
What is a flower bed?
A flower bed is a plot of land specially prepared and cultivated for flowers to grow. It elevates the soil where you plant the flowers and has its drainage system. Maintaining flower beds also do not end upon setting up the soil and planting the seeds. Maintaining it means you continuously remove unwanted grass, insects, and worms. It is the little piece of heaven on earth, thus it needs work.
How do you make a flower bed?
- Know the area – You need to know which part of the area the sunlight hits directly and which has an exposure of about 6 hours or more. This is the best place to create your flower bed because sunlight is vital to having a healthy plant and flower. Put in the markings and draw the area’s plan and how big the flower bed will be. It would help if you also planned how drainage will work and where you will place it.
- Prepping the ground – You also need to plan how big and how many the patches you would like to have. It is also wise to allow a space you can walk on while tending the plants. Since flower beds require maintenance, there should be a space for you to walk on.
- Digging the grass – One of the critical factors to having a blooming flower is to make sure that they absorb the nutrients from the soil and fertilizers. Which is why you need to make sure you pluck the grass out and dig out the roots of the grass. Otherwise, you’ll have healthy grass instead of full bloom flowers.
- Cultivate the soil – Make sure that you prepare the ground by making it loose for planting. Break any block of earth and remove the rocks if there is any. Smooth up the field and have it ready for planting.
- Fertilize your soil – A fertilized soil plays a significant role in making your flower bed project successful. To have healthy, fertile soil, you need to add compost or organic material like vegetable peels, leftover fruits, or even manure. You can also replace it with loam soil, which is a plant’s best friend.
- Drainage – A good drainage is vital in keeping your plants healthy. It drains better, preventing your plant fro drowning, especially during heavy rains.
After preparing the flower beds, you can now start planting your flower seeds. It will be best to consult an expert on the most suitable flower plant for you. For beginners, pick a plant that will survive all year round, including winter.
What are the advantages of having a flower bed?
- Fewer weeds – Your flower plant needs all the nutrients that it can get. Having a flower bed elevates the ground for your flower plant by putting mulch or cardboard. It will help reduce the chances of having weeds to grow and multiply. Another thing is that it will not ruin the aesthetic of your flower bed.
- Enhanced drainage – A good drainage will help you grow the best flowers. It provides enough room for the roots to breathe, especially during the wet season. Heavy rains can also damage your plants because of flooding, and better drainage will help your plant survive such weather conditions.
- Aesthetically appealing – The view of flowers blooming gives off the happy vibe not just to you but also to everyone who sees it. The flowers enhance the aura of your home to be a warm, friendly house. For businesses or for selling houses, a lawn with beautiful flowers attracts more clients.
- Helps keep you healthy – gardening helps improve your physical, mental, and emotional health. Keeping a flower bed entices you to do a routine check, it gives your body a reason to move, and gardening keeps you physically active. The view of the flowers, your very own oasis, relaxes your mind and makes you happy, making you mentally and emotionally stable.
However, having a flower bed does not end with planting the seeds. Flower beds require maintenance.
- Aesthetic – It is essential to trim your plants periodically. Trimming helps them grow in a specific shape and direction, which contributes to the garden’s overall aesthetic.
- Preventing weed – Weeds are known to be very stubborn, and they will keep growing back regardless of how many times you remove them. What you should be sure of is that these weeds do not infiltrate your flower beds. Proper maintenance will prevent this from happening.
- Replenish the soil’s nutrients. The soil provides nutrition that your plant needs to grow and bloom beautifully. As time goes by, these nutrients get emptied, and so fertilizing it again is necessary. You can either mix compost or put in fertilizer on the soil.
- Prevent plant diseases and pests – A regular maintenance will help identify if there is an infection on your plants or a pest destroying your lovely plants. Providing regular maintenance ensures that you did not forget a single thing.
There are many small flower bed ideas that you can choose from, and some plans might be more complicated than others, but when it comes to flower beds, no other name is trusted than Affordable Lawn Care. They have experienced team members that helps in each detail. They have different flowers that you can choose from, and they provide many services that will be beneficial to you.
Their expertise has provided excellent and satisfactory results to their clients. Their two decades of experience gives them a significant headstart in the competition. You can also be sure that the services they have are excellent and satisfactory and affordable.
If you are in the Wasatch Front area or planning to get a property in the area, or want to get a landscape makeover, you can dial and reach out to Affordable Lawn Care. They can even give you small flower bed ideas that will suit your lawn and your personality.